Thursday, January 31, 2008

Any Ideas?

Ok y'all, I need some ideas...we are having a Super Bowl Party at our house Sunday night, and yes we are crazy. It will be live on the BBC and it will start at 11:00pm and go till about 3:00am. We seriously are crazy. We invited the gap year students we work with and some of the university students that came to our first home group this week! So, it'll be a lively time I'm sure. I'll be sure and turn up the girls' sound machines so they hopefully will stay asleep through all the excitement.

So, I need your fun, party recipe ideas! I've checked out my favorite cooking site- and will use one of those recipes, but I just thought I'd see if you could recommend anything else. It can not have any Velveeta or Rotel ingredients since we can't get that here. Or anything like refrigerated cookie dough or biscuits. So basically, it needs to be from scratch.

Help a girl out!

9 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

How FUN! All except the 11pm-3am part.

I suggest you serve coffee and Coca-Cola to help yourselves stay awake!

I actually planned our menu for the big game last week. We're not having a party, but we are having a big junk food fest. I'm making queso for the kids (sorry, it needs Velveeta and rotel), hot ham and cheese sandwiches, spinach artichoke dip, chips, pizza rolls, and neiman marcus bars. I can fix you up with a recipe if any of that sounds yummy. Or you could always order pizza (can you do that there?) Who doesn't love pizza?

Senegal Daily said...

I'd suggest nachos, spinach-artichoke dip, mini-pizzas on pita bread or English muffins, apple with caramel dip...and if I can get ingredients for that here, I'm sure you guys can, right?

Anna said...

Charity, are you mad? They're students! Just feed them processed junk from Tescos. Party food packs are like a quid each and full of nice tasty gunk. The Indian packs are good - onion bahjis (no idea how to spell that), samosas, etc.

What's a sound machine? I hope they sleep through for y'all. Levi wakes up every time we have people round but I think that's because our living room echoes.

Also, what on earth is Velveeta? I'm sure all your American friends think Wales is the back of beyond because you can't get stuff like that here (and our baby food is weird). LOL

the blackwells said...

Oooh! You're quite brave. We're having our Superbowl party at our house on MONDAY...our pastor is taping it for us and we'll ignore all forms of communication until 6.30 on Monday.

7 layer dip is always a good one and you don't need velveeta! Ya know...the refried beans, sour cream with taco mix, shredded cheese, lettuce, tomato, olives, etc.

I might also try this recipe for our party -- http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/recipedetail.htm?recipe_id=89390&ctx=

Sandi said...

How about some Texas Guacamole! Fresh Pico de Gallo - Sounds like a great time!! Let me know how it turns out.

Liz said...

My favorite is deviled eggs. Just mustard, mayo, and dill relish. If you can't get dill relish, you can chop dill pickles really small (I've done that before). Sometimes I also add chopped celery, but it's the dill that really makes these pop!

patti said...

I am drawing a blank...have you ever made homemade salsa? I have two great recipes and they are not that hard. Wings are the fav at our house...but my father-in-law is the one who makes them. good luck!

Anonymous said...

Cheese horsd'oeuvre:
2 c. shredded sharp cheddar
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 c. butter, melted
36 green olives (optional)

Mix cheese and flour.
Add butter; mix thoroughly.
Knead with hands.
Roll into balls (about 3/4 inch)
Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake at 400 F for 20 - 25 minutes.

If you like green olives (stuffed are best), mold about 1 teaspoon of dough around an olive and then bake - they are yummy!

Tee said...

You could make chocolate chip cookies, spinach dip w/crackers, salsa with corn chips. If you put the salsa in the blender and blend really well, it stays on the chip better. Do they have sliced bread in Wales? LOL!!! You could do mini chicken salad sandwiches. I would have several choices of sodas. You can always have popcorn and Coke. Those young people will be glad to get anything, I'm sure. Have fun and I can't believe you are doing this, starting at 11 pm Oh yeah, turn up those sound machines for the girls. I had to laugh at the comment asking about them. We've had one for years and they work well, even for us big babies.;-) Have fun!