Friday, October 30, 2009

Update on Addison

Thank you all so much for your prayers during the night. I am so thankful that people, some who I don't even know, are lifting us up.

After I blogged last night I went to check on Addison and she was still wide awake, wheezy and just generally uncomfortable. I decided to google Amoxicillin and see if there were any side effects- and there were! (Just for the record, if you know me, then you know that Marc pretty much banned me from googling any kind of illness. But he was in bed sick, so I got away with it!) So they side effects included a rash, insomnia, no wet diapers and other nasty things. Addison had what I thought were 3-4 of the symptoms so I knew I could not rest. I called our out of hours service and was told to take her to the hospital to be seen, at 12:40am. Lovely. We were both wide awake anyway, so I loaded her up in the car- even though we only live a few hundred yards from the hospital. I was not about to walk up there in dark with my baby at that time of night, or morning. (I prayed the whole way up there and out loud in the car park! Ha!)

I was not impressed with the doctor at all. She was very strange. She told me to stop the antibiotics, that her chest was all clear and her eczema was really bad. She said there are no allergic reactions to Amoxicillin and there was nothing she could do for us. Alrighty then. We got home around 1:30am and she was finally asleep around 2am. I could not sleep much and kept thinking that this information did not sit well with me. This morning I phoned our doctor and explained the situation and just asked if it was okay to stop her medicine like that. She told me to come in at 11am, so that's where I've been!

The Lord worked it out that we got in to see the same doctor who prescribed her the medicine last Monday, so I didn't have to go into all the history of the week! He agreed her skin was looking worse, but was not sure it was related to the medicine. She has some type of rash on top of the eczema so it was hard to tell. He listened to her chest and neither lung is cleared up, contrary to what the doctor last night told me! He was kind of shocked that I was told her lungs were all clear and to stop the medicine. Thank you Lord that you gave me the wisdom to get her back in to the doctor!! So, we are now on new medicine and new lotions. The new antibiotic is a double whammy he said, it's good for chest infection and skin problems. So, I'm praying she is feeling better soon! (Is it wrong to say that I'm ready for school to start again next week?)

Oh, and you can pray for me and Addison to avoid the tummy bug. The people on both sides of us last night in the hospital waiting room were puking into a bucket while we waited. I think one guy was just drunk, but the other one was in cold sweats and all. Lovely.

TGIF.

18 comments:

Larry/Ann said...

We're so thankfrul that you went back to your doctor. We will keep praying. Please keep us posted.
Mom V

Seth, Jen, Hannah, Cailyn, and Isaac said...

I can't believe that one doc said there are no allergic reactions to Amoxocillin. Um, hello?? It's a pencillin drug!!

Hannah does great on it, but she was put on Augmentin recently and got a huge rash and had a bad reaction to it (it's a combo of amoxcicillin and something else).

So glad you were able to get her back in and praying that these new meds do the trick!!

becca said...

Isaac got an allergic reaction to amoxicillin... but it didn't bother him at all. He just had red splotches on his trunk.

Stephanie Kay said...

O my! Praying your are ALL better soon. There's nothing like a trip to the ER to catch something nasty.

Queen Diva said...

Oh, Charity, what a night! I will pray specifically that you won't get sick. Everything falls apart at our house when Mama's sick! Praising God for your mommy intuition last night.

Senegal Daily said...

Thanks for the update. We'll be praying for healing for Addyson and peace for you.

III said eczema can be a result of liver disfunction (which is not as bad as it sounds - we all have disfunctions). No idea how a liver cleanse would work for a baby, but just a thought.

Anna said...

Oh Charity!
I am allergic to penicillin so can't have any "cillin". Allergic reactions to that are common - stupid doctor!
Always get Erythromiasin (?).
Anyway, about the eczema, I think you need a second opinion. You need to get her referred to a dermatology clinic. Easier said than done I'd imagine but totally worth it. They could get a stronger steroid cream for Addison's flare ups and find an emollient to suit the rest of the time. Our GP originally prescribed Levi a steroid cream that was far too weak to have any effect. Praying!!!

AnnG said...

wow.

Nelly R. said...

From experience, ANY doctor who says, "There is nothing I can do for you" might as well say, "I see a problem, but I have NO desire to help you".

I'm so glad to know you continued to seek out sincere help :)

May the Lord heal little Addison!

Liz said...

Nate gets bad hives from amoxicillin. No allergies, indeed. Where did they find that "doctor"?

David and Abi said...

here is just another opinion on the little pumpkin...david took one look at the pics of her skin and said "drug reaction" before i even told him the back story. then he said that if you have eczema and/or asthma (which are immune reactions) then you will be more predisposed to other skin reactions...so maybe she had the original eczema and then the hives additionally. good luck, stay strong, aren't they so pathetic and extra sweet when they are sick.

Marc and Charity said...

Thank y'all so much! I am a lot more calm today and she seems to be doing better. She jus woke up so I'm going to go see what her skin looks like. :)

Thanks David (and Abi)- your opinion means a lot to me even though I have not seen you in a million years. David? A doctor? I must see it for myself! :)

Joyce said...

Glad you're feeling better today and you found another doc...It's best I not go off on my rant about the NHS so I'll just say glad you found some answers and I'm praying your little one is much better this morning (or afternoon now I guess)

Amanda said...

Rough night. I will pray for y'all!

Tracey said...

please forgive me for missing the whole point but i love that you are not allowed to google medical stuff. that is just too funny! :)

glad y'all are on the mend. love you~

Kecia said...

We will keep praying... You guys are in our hearts! We love you in Christ...

Rachel said...

Praying that things have continued to improve. Poor, Baby Girl!

Tad and Monica said...

I'm way late on my comment here, but that's exactly the kind of reaction Zachary had to amoxocillin. He also had the reaction to Zithromax so we don't do any penicillin with him. I'm so glad she's better!