Monday, June 18, 2007

We Have A Winner!

Here is the announcement of the winner and their final performance.

10 comments:

Leah said...

I'm so glad he won! He really deserved it. I read somewhere else that he was already an established opera singer, and that he was scamming the show. I hope that statement is not true, and that the person who made it was just being spiteful! Man, how some people can throw cold water on things!! Way to go, Paul!

Marc and Charity said...

Oh man, I hope that's not true! I am proud he won though, he seems truly genuine.

Go Paul!

the blackwells said...

Too bad I'm in Berlin this month instead of Durham to get to see the whole show. I'm not sure what any of the other people/groups did but none of them looked they they would even be close. It's been great to have y'all put this up.

Ben

Anonymous said...

How exciting! Thank you for posting that. I am so happy he won!

I heard the same thing Leah in Iowa so I googled Paul and read up on him.
Now for those interested in a bit of his story: He said in an article that he'd won a karaoke contest a while back and used the winnings to get a few lessons from an opera teacher in Italy. Seems like he got to sing in an opera or something but nothing ever came of it. He gave up on his dream of being an opera singer when he was injured in a motorbike accident in 2003 and hadn't sang since. He was always up front about that being his dream and how he had tried to make it. My guess is that most of the really good contestants in any talent show have had some kind of training or coaching. Makes sense to me!

Anyway, phooey on those trying to rain on his parade! Paul's got talent and I am going to buy his first album-and I don't even like opera! :-) Yea Paul!!

Marc and Charity said...

Beverly, Marc said he read the same thing...so I'm sure he legit. Thanks for your google research. :)

Kelli said...

I can't even type, I'm bawling like a baby. Thanks for posting this ... I hadn't had a chance to look it up yet :)

Looks like I'll have new stuff for the iPod soon!

Tad and Monica said...

Tad works in the opera world, so here's my two-cents' worth. It is unlikely that anyone could sing with that kind of technique and diction without any training. Taking lessons doesn't really mean much in terms of making it in the opera world. You always have to have a "break" of some kind. Clearly, this was Paul's break. I really hope he'll be able to get a role on stage. But I'm sure a recording career will work out just fine for him. :) It's been fun to follow this.

Nicole said...

We were so excited, too! I even had goose pimples as that strange Amanda kept saying!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post. I thought I saw a tear in the corner of Simon's eye, or was I mistaken? This young man will be performing before the Queen, so I'm sure he's headed for a new career, or at least something other than selling cell phones. :-)

Etta said...

Another point about that nasty rumor--I doubt seriously that the producers would let someone of his caliber on the show without doing some research. If that stuff were true, they would have found out about it long before now. Some people just can't stand to see others succeed.